Resource Availability & Booking Calendar plugin for Wordpress allows you to show the availablity status of any resource on the Calendar to the visitors and allows the resource vendors (admin users in Wordpress) to change the booking states on the Calendar.
One of my clients had requirement for a Calendar that shows the availability status of the resources such as Hotel rooms, Taxi for hire, etc. These resources belonged to multiple suppliers and the booking/reservation of the resources would be controlled by the respective resource vendors.
Upon discussing the use cases and the look & feel requirements with my client, we zeroed on using a AJAX implementation for the Calendar, so that we can fetch months of booking data without refreshing the resource details pages. Then we stumbled upon a free source, Ajax Availability Calendar developed by Christopher Bolson. Since my client’s existing website was built using Wordpress, I started adopting this cool code into a Wordpress plugin. The result is a Resource Booking & Availability Calendar plugin for wordpress.
Features in version 1.0
- Open Source and FREE to use in your site or application
- Unlimited Items (holiday homes, apartments etc.).
- Booking States: Available, Booked, Provisionally booked.
- Multiple administration users, with their own resource handling.
- Styled with CSS - easy to adapt to any design.
- Uses AJAX to change months viewed without reloading the page.
You can download the latest version of this plugin from Wordpress Plugins database. The plugin is released under GPL2 license.
Installation and Usage
How to install the plugin and get it working?
Follow these simple steps:
- Download the plugin and extract it. Upon extraction, you will get `resource-booking-and-availability-calendar` folder.
- Upload `resource-booking-and-availability-calendar` folder to the `/wp-content/plugins/` directory
- Activate the plugin through the 'Plugins' menu in WordPress
How do I update the bookings in Calendar?
Go to edit post in Wordpress. Select the desired post. In the edit screen, you will see the option to enable Booking. If you enable booking, the Booking Calendar is displayed. Click through the desired dates to alter the booking status on each day.
How do I show the availability calendar to users?
Once you enabled the Booking on a post as said above, the users visiting that post will see the Availability Calendar at the end of the post content.
- Availability Calendar - This is the public view of Availability Calendar on the posts for which Booking is enabled.
- Booking Calendar - This is the Admin view of Calendar. If the Booking is enabled by checking the radio button, the Booking Calendar is loaded. Click on the desired date to change its booking status.
Version 1.0.1 – Snapshots uploaded in gif format